Thursday, January 26, 2012

So it begins: Being Human


To make a mistake is to be human. It happens. Sometimes we make huge mistakes that are deemed harmful, damning or unforgivable. However, the majority of the mistakes we make are minor and with some hard work and dedication, we can reverse the course of our actions. Whether they involve just you or others around you, often times we put more emphasis on our own individual reactions, response or results. I’ve made a big one.

I am 29 years old and I am out of shape and over weight. Big time. I’ve spent the majority of my life eating what I want, when I want and not giving a damn about what I look like or what other people think of me. To an extent, that is a good character trait. However, the opinions of certain people should matter. I think I have ignored one too many voices of concern over the years and now find myself in a situation of regret. I may not have a self image problem, but I have a major health problem.

Recently, my new company hosted a wellness day in which we could all get our blood sugar, cholesterol, height, weight and body mass checked to receive a discounted health insurance plan. All you have to do is participate. It just so happened to be that my company sent me to PA for work the day they came to our office. In order to receive the discount, I had to go to my personal physician and have a physical. Lucky for me, they run a whole host of other screenings that my company would not have performed and found some abnormalities.

First, and most obvious, I am obese. It SUCKS typing that out because it means admitting the truth. I rarely have a hard time telling the truth, but this one hurt. Fearing diabetes for several years since leaving my ideal, healthy lifestyle in CO, I have since quit smoking and packed quite the few pounds. The equivalent of a high-school cheerleader to be exact. I am the largest I have ever been in my life. Yet, diabetes wasn’t an issue. Suspecting a low metabolism and/or thyroid problem, those too were ruled out.

The conclusion? The doctors are 90% sure I have Fatty Liver Disease. My first reaction hasn’t been of shock, nor has it been one of acceptance. Somewhere in the middle, I find myself quite pissed that not only am I fat, they had to diagnose me with the one disease that has the word FAT in it; scientist must have run out of medical terms the day they discovered this one. After a substantial number of questions and online answers (which vary depending on if you are reading notes from a doctor or a homeopathic healer) it was nice to see that this “disease” is not incurable. Quite the contrary, with a strict diet and most likely some medication I can be cured of this disease. So far my “doctor” has me on vitamins, which tells me they may have received their medical degree from a hippie commune. But, I’m following the doctor’s orders to a T.

In a few weeks, I’ll go in for an ultra sound. An occasional doctors visit due to a cold, or a couple of broken bones is the extent of my medical treatment over the years. Other than an insanely nightmarish and embarrassing trip to the ER when I was 8 that gave me a wretched fear of water guns for several years, the majority of my visits have been rather mundane. Yet, this one is a doosey. They need to determine the extent of my fat liver and how to correct the problem. Most likely this will entail no more fast food, any type of food with high cholesterol and fat content with the addition of fresh fruits and veggies. It’s the end of my world as I know it; or is it?

With the help of my girlfriend, I have made some very serious diet changes since the start of the year. Progress has been slow with a few relapses on the bad food drug known as pizza, over all I have done pretty well. At this point, I’ve already lost almost 10 pounds, have incorporated soy and tofu into my diet and have been ‘juicing.’ No, I am not talking about steroids. I am talking about making my own fresh vegetable and fruit juice blends. It has become addicting and I have started thinking that living a healthier life may not be so bad.

Thus comes to my conclusion; maybe a lifestyle change is in order and will not be as hard of a pill to swallow as I originally thought. I am almost 30, diabetes is in my family as are heart attacks, and with high cholesterol and a fat liver (as I will so eloquently refer to my disease from here on out) I am at a high risk of dying young. How ironic it is that I am in the high risk insurance business and handle situations like this in other people’s lives daily.

Without further ado, I would like to welcome you and thank you for reading this initial blog posting. I decided to enter into the blogosphere so as to document my path through these choppy waters. I feel it will help keep me accountable if other people know my situation and even if I can help just one person (hopefully me) I will feel a sense of accomplishment. In this blog, I will keep my readers up to date as far as my medical procedures, diagnosis, treatments and progress in hopes of reversing my fat liver and becoming a more healthy individual.

I am 29, weigh 363 pounds, and stand at six feet and two inches. I have a lot to live for yet as a result of my eating habits, I am slowly committing suicide. It is high time I start living and make the appropriate changes for myself, as well as for those who mean the most in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Matt,
    You are the bravest human being I know. I am SO proud of you for taking charge and accepting a lifetime challenge head on.
    I will be there with you every step. I love you with all of my heart and pray that you hold strong in your journey and continue to stay true to yourself and your health.
    Love,
    Your Sister
    P.S.
    See, I told you tofu was good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    I commend you for making a bold move into such a positive direction. The rest of us will join you in the cause of better health in 2012...and yes that includes me. It just so happens we are also moving towards the time of Lent, so let our new physical disciplines also be amplified with spiritual discipline.

    TIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeks,

    I love you, fella. I am proud of your adjustments and progress. I am very happy to know that you desire to remedy the problem and better yourself, health, and life. I support you, especially as I am adjusting to a healthier lifestyle with Amanda (she keeps me in check). I look forward to our many years together, especially as we encounter new lifestyles and challenges. I love you. Stay strong and focused--you will conquer and be victorious.

    Vega

    ReplyDelete